Upon leaving Russia, here is Julia Ioffe’s list of the nation’s faults:
(1) Horrific drinking, including drunken “journalists”
(2) Psychotic “thinking” and “debating”
(6) Purging of Jews, lack of diversity in religion and race
(7) Total distrust of institutions and people
(8) Lack of fathers/husbands
(9) Virtually no good bars or restaurants even in giant Moscow
(10) Paranoid fear of cold water and other Medieval belief systems
(11) Bad plastic surgery and incompetent medical treatment
(12) Need to prove identity everywhere you go
(14) Totalitarian bureaucracy
We find it rather odd that in leaving Russia Ioffe does not feel compelled to reflect even for a second on how badly she misreported the Russian protest movement, which she said was changing Russia forever when in fact it was disappearing. We also find it very strange that she doesn’t list Russia’s #1 fault, its people, people who have blithely handed power for life to a proud KGB spy and looked the other way at the murder of Ioffe’s colleagues, like Anna Politkovskaya. People who embrace racism and misogyny and the invasion of Georgia and the Cold War and who will not exert themselves for freedom or democracy.
But we are comforted by the fact that the world’s Russia IQ will now rise considerably with Ioffe no longer reporting on the Land of Putin.